Waldorf In The Home

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Backyard Camp - Plantain & Bee Stings




Camp was great fun today - we learned how to treat a bee sting with the medicinal herb Plantain. Just about every one of the twelve Campers had a great bee sting story to share. They loved sharing their story and it was a great   introduction to our lesson, albeit a little dramatic as bee stings are like that. 

 Photo By Wendy Sheahan-Coyne   Thank you Wendy. 

They were so motivated to learn how to care for a bee sting. I get it, bee stings hurt!  They learned that with just one or a few of  Mother Nature gifts:  Plantain, Lavender, Raw Potato, and Honey they could ease the pain of the sting fast and reduce swelling. How empowering is that? Also, Plantain is by far the easiest to have on hand because it grows just about everywhere - and it is free.  Here is what Plantain looks like:


We passed around and learned about dried lavender, lavender oil, fresh lavender, potatoes and honey - and observed how cool the potato felt on our skin, the medicinal smell of the lavender, and the taste of sweet honey. Then we went to forage the Plantain - after we discussed the plant and its medicinal properties.  I taught the Campers how to make a poultice from the leaves - and they all made some for themselves.  I also taught them to thank the plant when forging its leaves. They thought that was pretty cool. They chewed a leaf and applied it to a bug bite, mosquito season is here and we all had a least one bite on us.  I wish I had a picture of them chewing their poultice. It made my heart so very happy. Our plantain poultice worked and calmed our itches down.

Then it was time to learn how to collect and use this medical herb in the winter months. We washed, chopped, ripped, and massaged the leaves to make a Plantain tincture and a Plantain oil. 



Next we recorded what we learned. Here is a sample: 



We kind of rushed through the second page as time was running out and I promised free play and watermelon. I like to keep my promises and they really like the backyard and watermelon. I sent them home with an info sheet for Mom and the Campers can fill the rest out at home if they want to. Plus, the truth is play is way more important than any worksheet. The learning was in the doing, the chewing and the listening. 




Engaging children with nature is love of mine. I am so happy to be able to share my passion of medicinal herbs with them. 

There are so many blogs, and resources to learn more about Plantain and I encourage you to google them. To me there is nothing more satisfying than to heal ourselves with natural remedies. 

Namaste, Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!