Waldorf In The Home

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Maple Snow Candy Cured Boredom


 "Mom, I am bored." Perfect, I said, boredom gives us a chance to do something interesting. So with that and a beautiful bottle of  Vermont Maple Syrup left on the breakfast table and fresh, fallen snow outside we set out to make Maple Snow Candy just like Laura and Mary did in the Big Woods. We used one cup of Maple Syrup and snow. It was easy. We boiled the syrup until frothy and thick, let it cool for a few minutes and poured it over the packed snow.  

 (Warning ballet should never be practiced near a hot stove - photo courtesy of Ella age 7 - 
apparently I wasn't paying attention)


This is the consistency you want, thick and frothy.  It made the house smell so warm and sweet.

We filled some cookie cutters for a delicious treat later. 


We let the syrup cool on the snow for about 20 seconds or so and then had a taste! 

To save the candy, if there is any left, make sure it is completely dry before you store it or it will melt. Lesson learned. 


Children are great little motivators and I am glad that I have them. We beat their boredom and my blues. 

Namaste, Nicole


2 comments:

  1. So glad you are back! Always love you stories and pictures! :)
    Brightest blessings
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Autumn! Thank you, it feels good to photograph and blog again too. I really enjoy keeping a kind of history of my family and being a part of the blogging community.

    Blessed be, Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!