Waldorf In The Home

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Goddess Wedneday -- Mirror

click to enlarge to get the full effect
 

Mirror
I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful-
The eye of the little god, four cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.
Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.

Sylvia Plath
 click to read more about Plath 


Mirrors have always fascinated me. The mirror I am standing in front of  is 111 years old. It is fun to imagine what the mirror has "seen". When I look into the mirror I see a much older me, but unlike a terrible fish, I feel comfortable, it is no longer about looking hot, or professional, or motherly, it is about looking like me. 

Happy Goddess Wednesday -- Celebrate yourself and embrace your beautiful reflection. Perhaps if Sylvia took on a Goddess Persona once a week she might have lived a longer and more fulfilling life. May she fly high above while down below we practice self kindness. It is where kindness truly begins and it radiates the most beautiful reflection of all.

Namaste.

3 comments:

  1. When my grandmother passed away, I received an old mirror that most certainly pre-dated her! I also wonder how much that mirror has witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am feeling much the same way lately -- wanting to look like me -- and on this my 40 th birthday -- i am ok with the reflection my mirror sees... thanks for this post friend... it was a gentle reminder for me today about the wisdom i am gaining becoming an older woman ... i thank you ... my goddess thanks you ...hug hug
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this interesting because I dislike mirrors and am very superstitious about them, maybe I have some gypsy blood in me because they really bother me, especially at night. BUT I to love to contemplate what an object has witnessed, the lives it has existed alongside and the world that has shifted while it stayed the same.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!