Waldorf In The Home

Monday, September 26, 2011

Flood

On Thursday morning, September 7th, Tropical Storm Lee flooded homes in the wee hours of the morning. We awoke to our door bell ringing, our neighbor clearly in a panic, the water was chest high surrounding our homes.
Our basement filled with 42 inches of water and the perimeter of our house was between 3 feet to 12 feet of water. I did not photograph the actual flood because we were in a crisis mode.
 One of our cars was completely submerged in the water, and the other filled to its dashboard.  Cars were floating on the street. The smell of gas permeated the air.

The chicken coop floated away and it was found on its side with very wet chickens in it, we were surprised to find them alive. You can see the water line on the coop.

Clean up began the moment we were heard the doorbell and continues to this day.

 The Mud Kitchen is closed. The soil is contaminated and we were advised from the board of health not to touch it.
This is the culvert that runs through our  yard. The water level rose 12 feet, however it was the run off land water and overflowing sewers that flooded our homes from all four directions.
 
 A bridge crossing the culvert didn't withstand the strength of the water. The water came at 3:25 in the morning and was gone (beside the basement water) by 5 AM.  It was dark, scary and dreadful.
 
 Items  from our yard and neighbors yards ending up in the left hand corner of my yard which is the lowest point of the culvert. Trash was everywhere. Heavy tree stumps floated away as if they were autumn leaves. 
 
 The amount of water that traveled past our house was unimaginable. Knowing that there was nothing that I could do but watch with Ella and Geir, while Viv slept made me feel vulnerable and  short  of breath. 
Morning time came, and I grabbed my camera and captured the heart ache.









 





This flood wasn't easy to get through, and yet knowing that people have lived through worst.only upsets me more.  I am tired, all of us are. I am grateful for loved ones, neighbors and friends for helping us all through this mess. If this little girl's face doesn't say it all, then I don't know what does.

Namaste.




13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I am so sorry your family is going through such a horrible and trying time. My aunt, uncle and cousins live in Ephrata, PA and lost everything except their pets from Lee. Seeing all the devastation back home is heartbreaking. I am sending positive healing thoughts to your family. Is there anything those of us a state away can do to help? I was going to set up a paypal donation on my blog for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nicole. My heart breaks for you and your family. I can't even begin to imagine the devestation and what y'all have been through. I'm praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This post brought tears to my eyes, what a horrible horrible flood that must have been. I feel so sorry for all the people involved in it!
    I hope you all get some rest soon and lots of helpful people. If we wouldn´t be thousand of miles away I´d pack my things to come and help.
    Unbelievable!
    Love
    Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you guys are all OK...and your chickens! I'm sorry you had to go thru this. This has been awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so very, very sorry. I've loved reading about how you found your house, how you've loved it into a sweet home for your family, how you've enjoyed your wonderful yard. How hard to endure this. Poor sweet house, faithfully sheltering you...and now this. I know you will eventually feel at home and at peace again, but this will be a slow, hard process. Thank goodness your sweet family is safe and sound together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Nicole, Your photos capture the sad and gross reality of your flood so well. I know it is only a glimpse of the extent of the damage to your home, your neighborhood and your trust in your local government. I am sending healing energy your way. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for what you have had to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking the time to care and think about us.


    Under another flood watch.

    Namaste, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even imagine Nicole, I'm just glad that you are all safe. Sending you strength for this cleanup time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Nicole. I am thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicole,

    Just remember that time heals...thinking of you and your family and sending you positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I had no idea you've been going through this Nicole. It was today's reference to your hen's eggs not being edible yet that brought me here. I am wordless. I send warm hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!