Waldorf In The Home

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Setting Sail for Homeschool


It has been raining a lot here in Philadelphia. Summer is celebrating her last few weeks with hot and humid days and cool nights. Thunderstorms have been passing by all day. Inside our house feels new again as the rain chased us in for most of the day. I had a chance to finish up our homeschool curriculum for Autumn. I couldn't be more passionate about it. We are about to set sail on a fantastic exploration of our home, town and local parks. 


During these cozy, rainy days, I surrounded myself with treasured books like Heaven on Earth and Donna Simmons guides and read lots of Waldorfy blogs. I am totally inspired. I feel confident and in love. Planning our days following the inhalation and exhalation of breath continues to be magical and is the key to our successful rhythm. Perhaps a curriculum is just a fancy work for having a  rhythmic, meaningful and useful day in the kindy garden - either way I am having fun planning and visualizing it.


I would like to gather a small group of Waldorf inspired homeschoolers to celebrate the seasons and festivals with and of course to play in the puddles with. Please contact me if you are local and interested. My email address is nicole at redbeets.com. We'd love to set sail with like minded people.


All in a day's work, the walnut ships sailed in friendly waters with these best of friends sisters.  

Namaste!

3 comments:

  1. Oh look at those sweet little boats. I'm several states away, but I hope you're able to find a community for gentle souls to grow and learn together. I know my girls and I would love to join in if we were local. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm equally parts scared and excited to start lessons in a few weeks. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage it with a 6 1/2 year old in 1st grade, who is possibly ready for the faery tales, and two 4 1/2 year olds, one of who is extremely sensitive. I'm sure we'll find a way to work it out. A dear friend suggested that I really just make the year focused on my eldest, and allow the little two to fall in where they will. She's right - I really feel my eldest needs me to focus and connect with her right now.

    We've purchased the Enki curriculum to work with, but I'm looking at some other stuff too. I tend to get overwhelmed, and then paralyzed into doing 'nothing' because I cannot do 'everything'.

    I wish we were closer, and I hope you find some sweet friends to share in nature adventures.

    Warmly,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, thank you. We have enough rain now that there are no longer puddles but a huge flood. We are safe but it feels very exciting.

    Carrie, none of us will be able to do everything, and what we do will be enough. That is where our daily rhythm makes it work for me. There will always be interruptions, and that is ok, they are supposed to happen. Enjoy what you are doing, and plan the rest. I also agree with your friends advice, focus on your eldest, and let your younger have more responsibility. With that, they'll have a lot of chores to practice while you sit with your oldest. So far, that has been my way and it works for me.

    Too bad distance is in the way. Thanks for the conversation.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!