Waldorf In The Home

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Home For The Chickens






Our three chicks are loved. I have to say, for me this has been a life changing event. My husband has done an excellent job taking care of them and building them a coop. Of course he has his two little helpers to help him.  Vivian and Ella  have decided that they will no longer eat chicken. When asked why they said they just didn't feel good about it. I get that. I've always had a weird relationship to food. I still do. I put off watching Food Inc.for that reason then this past weekend I borrowed it from the library. Whoa. Exhale. Yikes. I have come to an understanding  that I only want to feed my family happy food. I would love a book recommendation about happy food. A few years back I read Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  She took her family on an intense journey that really made perfect sense.  I have a long way to go to live up to that but I do wish to devote myself to a better way of eating.

Namaste, Nicole

 

5 comments:

  1. Happy hens are well worth it, I agree! This is our year for chickens too. I have been after my handy husband to build us a coop, and I just think it will happen...it helps that I keep mentioning it (every day) and the children and I are coming up with a name list. Oh, and my daughter actually needs to eat lots of eggs as she has Type 1 Diabetes and eggs have no carbs! Anyhow, your coop is so delightfully clean and cared for...I love it! Barbara's book was also wonderful. Have a great rest of your weekend. xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing coop! Your chickens are so so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jules. The chicken coop is this years vacation. Ka-ching!!! But the experience and the happy eggs will be so worth it. My husband want to build a bigger coop for more chickens!!!

    Heather - those chickens hit the jackpot for sure!

    Namaste, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your blog!!! Heres to a little bit of random and an award!!

    Cheers! Jane

    http://janeandthelion.blogspot.com/2011/06/7-random-things-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that book and laughed often. Your chicken coop is just beautiful and I can see why your chickens are greatly loved. I bet you are going to have happy chicken eggs which make the best omlettes. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!