Waldorf In The Home

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Our Martinmas Lantern Celebration

Our lanterns sit on the window sill soaking up the Sun Rays. 

I loved this little story and read it aloud to my little ones changing only minor details. There are quite a few stories out there about Martinmas but this  particular story spoke to me in ways that the others didn't. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

I learned to make these paper lanterns here. In addition to the wonderful and simple directions I added tin foil inside the lanterns and glued the tea light in place - and I am glad I did. I also had my husband drill a hole in a fresh wood stick (good earth energy) and I strung cooper wire to attach the lanterns. 




We had a nice candlelight dinner; yummy potato and leek soup, apple crisp and fresh rolls and butter. After dinner we read the story about George and Brother Sun then set off on our Lantern walk. 


 As we walked through our backyard and neighborhood we sang this song.

This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine


Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine
All around my neighborhood
I'm gonna let it shine
All around my neighborhood
I'm gonna let it shine
All around my neighborhood
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine
 
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine


It was a magical evening. There is a light that never goes out and tonight I plan on focusing on that light. I am slowing coming out of the chaos of moving for the third time in less than three years.I have finally planted my roots, and now may they rest deep below the soil in the warm earth as I rest and take care of myself. 




Namaste!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the link to the story too. I saw a couple posting about the lanterns but was not familiar with the story. Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to walk out by lantern light and I love your song. I'm sure your girls must have had fun.

    Just wanted to say hello and that I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a lovely night! I know we did. I love everything about this celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there, Redbeet Mama! Such pretty lanterns. We also know that song but usually save it for Winter Solstice, now we have another time to sing it! It's so nice to hear you go out in your neighbourhood...do the neighbours know what you are up to? Around here, they sure wouldn't! Plus, we live in the country. Happy light within!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely lanterns Nicole, thanks for the link to the story:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Friend! Such a beautiful posting. Do you have any recommended reading on celebrations like this? I would really like to start some lovely traditions for the family!
    xoxo,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful lanterns. Looks like a very magical night. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful story and way to mark the changing of the season too. I loved reading the story and information on the link you attached. As I read your post memories came back to me of singing that same song as a child - I had forgotten all about it! Thank you! I shall have to start some family traditions to mark Autumn into Winter in NZ. I miss all the European traditions of old. I must start a Winter Solstice celebration too - to spice up our cold June - August.

    I am glad I came across your blog.

    Namaste to you too! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your sweet comments.
    One neighbor did ask what we were doing - we explained in simple terms and he replied "oh you are lantering." Yes, yes, we are.
    Then we met our new favorite neighbors and we shared our lantern with her (same age as my Ella) - it was beautiful.
    I would have loved to share the walk with more Martinmas celebrators - perhaps next year.
    Namaste, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a beautiful celebration. There is something SO magical about the Martinmas Lantern Walk. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!