Waldorf In The Home

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Confessions of a Rock Star's Mother



It happen one day when I was busy dealing with insurance claims, plumbers and my fill-in-the-bank Realtor. Ella wanted to watch Scooby Doo - because "so and so is allowed and plus I am going to be five soon. " I thought ok - the show is about chasing monsters - what could be the harm? One show. I warned her though "It might be scary." Thirty minutes later, Ella came running to me - she pleaded with total excitement to buy her a shirt that in her words "shows my belly and black high heel boots and a short skirt" - she was going to be a Rock Star ! She started performing right there on the spot singing "I am going to put a spell on yoooouuu."  I was speechless, embarrassed and angry - what had I done? She also wanted to watch Scooby Doo again - and we did together. I would have never of guess the sexual implications in this cartoon. I had no idea sexy rock music was a part of the show. We don't listen to adult music around the little ones, perhaps some Dylan and the like but this made me sick to my stomach. I said hurtful things to her. I told her "You need to know how to sing a lot better than that and your guitar playing is not Rock Star status." She responded a little deflated in her body language but then piped up "Then I'll just dress like one." There I was DUMBFOUNDED. One show turned my little innocent Prairie Girl into a sex pot of a Rock Star.!!! I had to be creative, I had to turn this around, I had to show her that her idea was good and to go with it - but do it my way without her realizing it. 


And so I did. This is the Rock Star outfit that I gifted her for her birthday. No belly. She was elated and felt totally rockin! Not my style. I  would have choose an apron dress with lace socks and patent leather shoes. But the deal is when she is dressed like a Rocker she has to practice her instruments and her singing.



She committed and I am now a proud parent of a part-time Rock Star. In the above picture she is singing "Oh My Darlin Clementine" in our new music room. I am not worried so much anymore. 

These came before the Rock Star outfit. All Ella talked about was owning a pair of high heels. I don't beckon to her every whim but when I saw these I wanted to get them for her. I remember wanting a pair very badly at her age too. The deal was she was only allowed to wear them with long skirts - no shorts or jeans. My goal as a mother is to preserve my children's childhood and that includes how they dress. But cute is cute and these go great with her tie-dyed prairie skirt.  She obliged and soon learned that beauty comes with a price - high heels hurt while shopping for groceries. So now she wears them to walk to her friends house two doors over. Ella has taught me many things in the past five years - she keeps life interesting and fun. I keep things in moderation. She thinks she is a Rock Star - and she is - a respectable one. Now I can forgive myself for being careless and a bit harsh and pretend that I am prepared for her next ambition.


Namaste!

10 comments:

  1. Aww thanks Arlene! If she turns out anything like your two daughters I will be happy.

    XO, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's lucky to have you as her mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stick with Sponge Bob and Bugs Bunny--all violence, no sex. Sure we've had a few "incidents", but we're pretty sure the other kids were asking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting....children are such sponges....a tv show can certainly make you "feel" a certain way; put you in a mood...give you ideas. Maybe this sounds dramatic, but I know it to be true. When I was feeling "low" in high school, I used to take advantage of the feeling by watching the 90's version of romeo and juliet. Sure enough, I felt worse! But I liked it...I read the poetry, bought the soundtrack, I even wanted to do my hair like claire danes!
    TV can def evoke a certain emotion....esp in a young child who is so impressionable to begin with. I think you handled yourself well! she is such a cute little rock star--and tasteful! I love the last 2 pictures where she is clearly back in her element of familiarity and comfort:)
    hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Ella is too cute, practicing her music. And you are a precious, wonderful mother. Good for you, for learning and growing with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it! We went through a scoobie doo phase here too...I think we may still be in it unbeknownst to me. When Ruby's friends come over, one usually has a clipboard in hand, writing down "clues" to solve mysteries.
    I remember myself, the JOY I had as a child, pretending to be Inspector Gadget, (and I came up with some pretty interesting "gadgets" to use!)
    I think you just handled this SO well! Rock on redbeet jr!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks adorable in her rock start outfit. It sounds like you turned that situation around in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a creative solution! It is tough when they pull us out of our comfort zone, but that is part of the brilliance of it all too. It is shocking the stuff that is aimed at kids. I think a bit of tv is ok but we are very selective about the content, I am constantly horrified by what is considered ok for small ones. But sex in Scooby Doo? The world is turned into madness!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!