Waldorf In The Home

Monday, May 10, 2010

Corner of My Home - Heart of our Home


When Geir and I married we bought an expensive and beautiful dining room farm table. It was massive. Now the little ones are here and we wanted something more intimate - so we sold the farm table on craigslist and bought this simple round table from Ikea.  We love sharing meals, making art, playing games and having a cup of tea here. It truly is the heart of our home. In the corner of this space is a custom made cabinet that we had bought to house our TV - it worked well in our other home but now it serves as our art cabinet. I just orginaized it and I am so pleased with myself. 


This cabinet now houses modeling beeswax, stockmar crayons, lots of thick water color paper, watercolor paint, brushes, kite paper, pencils,scissors, tape and random art supplies - oh and glue they love to glue. Spending time on art is pretty new to me. I am not an artsy person and either is Ella - but Vivian has a love for art. She amazes me not so much of what she produces (she is only 2) but her enthusiasm and concentration. Ella and I would rather spend our time standing on our heads on top of a balance beam. (because we are good at that) We have a balance beam and now we have a functional art cabinet. Can't wait for Vivian to teach me art!


I love this space. I love the energy in this space. I love the possibilities that unfold here everyday. I love this part of my home because we each have a place to call our own and yet it connects us to each other. 

Our Mealtime Prayer

We are Thankful for the gifts of food and freedom
For the Hills to roam
For the beautiful sunset, and the Earth our Home. 
For the Stars at night and the gentle Wind in the trees
And for our Family
We thank you Sacred Spirit for all of these
Namaste.


One of my favorite times of the day is listening to Ella and Vivian (very seriously) recite this prayer before a meal. I am very interested in learning about your mealtime prayers, please share if you have one. 

Namaste!



17 comments:

  1. I have been thinking a lot about adding a little prayer to our mealtimes--- i love the one you mention here, it's very sweet. I'll check back to see if anyone else has a nice prayer to add!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    So beautiful, I may steal your prayer we don't have one we use all the time and i love yours. I have not been blogging or even looking at them lately, but looking through yours now is inspiring as always and your photography is wonderful.

    xoxo,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I love the idea of an art cabinet in the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That where we have our art/craft cabinet for the girls, too - in our dining room! How funny. It's also our nature table.Really, our girls have taken over the whole house :p

    Our mealtime blessing/prayer is:

    Earth who gives to us this food,
    sun who makes it ripe and good,
    dear earth, dear sun,
    by you we live,
    our loving thanks to you we give
    blessings on our meal, our family, our friends and our world.

    then Kalways adds "Yay! Let's eat!" :0)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely prayer. We are needing to update ours as I'm afraid it has become too routine. We say "Thank you for our food, thank you for our family, thank you for everything in this world and everything in the past. Amen, Bismillah" We had to add the everything in the past part because my son did not want to leave out dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just say what we are happy/thankful about for the day. The kids often will state that they are happy about a specific food on their plate or for a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the prayers we use (we have a felted prayer bowl on the table, so we can rotate if needed)is: 'May God bless our daily bread, So that our souls with life be fed.' We're Christian, but you could change to Creator, goddess, etc as needed for your family. We love the book "Baking Bread with Children" by Warren Lee Cohen. It has some lovely blessings, stories and recipes. The other posted blessings are wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a few mealtime blessings in rotation.I love the one you've posted here...I'd like to adopt it! Here are some of ours:

    The silver rain, the shining sun,
    The fields where scarlet poppies run,
    And all the ripples of the wheat
    Are in the bread that I now eat.
    So when I sit for every meal
    And say a grace, I always feel
    That I am eating rain and sun
    And fields where scarlet poppies run.
    -------------------------------

    For the golden corn and the apples on the trees
    For the butter and the honey for our tea
    For the fruits and nuts and berries that grow beside the way
    For the birds and bees and flowers we give our thanks this day
    Blessings on our food and our family.
    ----------------------------

    We gather 'round this table
    Where bodies are renewed
    Where hearts appease their hunger
    For we feast on more than food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we sing:

    blessings on the blossom,
    blessings on the root,
    blessings on the leaf and stem,
    blessings on the fruit

    and then we say:

    blessings on our meal and peace on earth, the home for all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We use a really simple blessing that my 3 year old son remembers and adores:

    For trees so tall
    For skies so blue
    For food and friends
    We thank you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came here through Childhood magic blog :)
    Your blog is beautiful and I will be visiting you.
    We also have a prayer but if I'm honest we don't use it all the time and we should do it. I would like to share it even id it's in italian ( we live in Italy)

    Terra: tu il cibo ci hai donato
    Sole, tu l'hai maturato. Cara Terra, Sole amato, il mio cuore vì è tanto grato.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    I too have come here through Childhood Magic.
    I like your blog. I have started a new ritual where we all take turns to be thankful for something that occurred that day. My son always gives thanks for playing in the garden.
    Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Nicole! Your blog is lovely.

    We hold hands saying "let us hold hands and with our hands our hearts"
    take a moment of silence

    We used to sing:

    For the golden corn, for the apples on the trees
    For the golden sun and the honey from the bees
    For fruits and nuts and beries we find along the way
    For birds and beasts and flowers
    We thank thee everyday

    I wish I could sing it here, is there a way?

    now we say:

    We gather 'round this table
    Where bodies are renewd
    Where hearts appease their hunger
    For we feast on more than food

    then we say

    Peasce on Earth begins at home

    During the meal we share what was our rose and what was our thorn for the day

    Warmly,

    Lisa

    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115393118491732

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful blessings. We were looking for some simpler ones the kiddos could say.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all beautiful - thank you every much.

    April - my two year old is able to recite our prayer without a problem.
    Once your little ones hear you recite your prayer they will pick it up in no time.

    Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful space and I love your verse. Ours is
    Thank you for the world so sweet, thank you for the food we eat,
    thank you for the birds that sing Thank you God for everything.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there!

    I found this exact dining table used for $50 and I wanted to ask you, how has yours held up with kids? And it is solid wood, not a veneer, right?

    It looks beautiful in your kitchen and the knotty look is really rustic and warm!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!