Waldorf In The Home

Thursday, April 22, 2010

In Honor of Earth Day - Possum Living



My jaw dropped as I watched this documentary about Dolly Freed and her book titled "Possum Living." After watching all three videos (the second and third can be found on YOUTUBE) I was intrigued, inspired and quite frankly entertained.  Now don't get me wrong I like my luxuries  and  I do not have any thoughts of imitating her possum type lifestyle but I do agree with her ideals. I love how Dolly looks at life. She lives her life according to her own rules -my kind of gal!  She is happy. She is smart and she knows how to have fun. She inspires me to  continue to do what I love and love what I do - raise my little ones at home. Why pay tribute to Dolly on Earth Day? Watch the three videos and you'll see. You also might like to say hello to her on her new blog
It is very easy to jump to negative judgments- but if you watch all three videos I think you will wind up liking her as much as I did. I would love to hear your thoughts and reactions. 

Happy Earth Day.  

1 comment:

  1. Definitely intriguing. I wonder how possible it would be to live that lifestyle today given how much our culture has changed. I think it would be more difficult in the semi-urban setting they were presumably in, but definitely possible in a smaller town. I do think the key would still be to have a paid-for home with a decent sized yard.

    Personally, I have absolutely no problem with anyone who wants to live this way as long as they stay off the public welfare rolls, which I think that the vast majority of people who are wishing to escape in this way are perfectly happy to do. In fact, I think we should teach these basic life skills to everyone already on welfare! The benefits to society would be amazing. Better health which would lead to lower health care costs, improvements in education etc.

    BTW, have you ever read Radical Simplicity by Dan Price??

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!