Waldorf In The Home

Monday, April 12, 2010

Ella's Ice Skating Debut


Just arrived at the rink - look at her excitement! 



A good luck hug from little sister.


The show begins with a smile and a pose.


And she smiled the entire time.

She was so serious and proud. 

What an accomplishment! Look how happy she is with herself. 

Ella started ice skating when we were living up in Connecticut. She was three and a half and just fell in love with the sport. I would have never imagined signing a child of mine up for ice skating but we were hot -  it was in the middle of the summer and there wasn't much to do in Connecticut on rainy days. They take figure skating pretty seriously up there in those woods - the Danbury Ice Arena was incredible and it soon became a hobby for all of us. Ice skating is so wonderful when you have your own skates - so we all got a pair. It has been mainly Geir who has devoted his time to taking Ella to class but soon it will be a family outing for all of us. There is much to be desired at the rink we go to now but it is convenient and as you can see makes Ella very happy.  I asked Ella why she likes ice skating so much and her reply was "because after class I can skate and play on the ice." She is smart. That is a good reason to like it. That and the cute sparkly outfit she gets to wear. This is the first time that I really saw Ella so happy from within - the kind of happiness you can't buy . The kind of happiness that is a gift that you can only give to yourself through hard work, play and dedication.

As for Ella I am only going to show her the first and last photo on this post. I feel that it is very important that her memory of this special accomplishment comes from her and not from my camera. Girls can be very self conscious of themselves - I want to do what I can to help tone down those feelings and let her enjoy her experience just how she experienced it - through her eyes.

Namaste.



5 comments:

  1. This is so sweet and special! I love seeing these little skating photos. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her joy is contagious in that first picture. I couldn't help but smile back at her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks so, so happy and proud of herself. Love that second to last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh. this is just too darn cute.
    nicola

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!