Waldorf In The Home

Monday, April 26, 2010

Corner of My Home - Little Ones Bedroom


It has been almost seven months since we moved here. This is the girls third bedroom and it is one of my favorites. The view of the pond is beautiful. We love opening the curtains each day and saying good morning to Mother Nature and the ducks. Vivian and Ella  have always shared a room and I don't think they would want it any other way. I decided to photograph their room because soon it will change. Vivian is just too big (in size) for her crib. I asked her if she wanted a big girl bed and she said no she wants to sleep in her "cribby." I want her to sleep in her crib too. I am not ready to say goodbye to my first and last baby crib.

Here is our beloved rocker. I cannot imagine being a Mama without it. I bought it months before Ella was born and I'd sit and rock in it with my big belly imagining life with my sweet baby girl. Now, I have two sweet little girls and I have rocked in this chair no less than twice a day and their Dad has always  rocked them at the end of the night for the last five years. It has begun to squeak - like a quiet whisper reminding me to hold onto to this very moment. Vivian cradled in my arms - rocking her gently to sleep. I kiss her forehead, breath in her smell and when I carefully lay her down in her crib I know that she will never be this small again.
This is Vivian's corner. 
This is Ella's corner.

 They both have their own closets. Ella stows away her special possessions on a little shelf in  her closet  to keep little sister from ruining them. Just the other day I noticed Vivian stashing her special things in her closet. No words were ever spoken about this - yet she understands completely.


This is where Ella lovingly sleeps. She is my sound sleeper. She has slept with "Elephant" since the first day she was born. He was a gift from Aunt Ahja. Since then we have bought several more. We never want to be without Elephant. I love the silk ceiling - it is so dreamy and soft and it changes the whole feel of the room. The idea came from Frontier Dreams (if I remember correctly.) I believe it was one of her readers who suggested it. I love bunk beds. Ella is too young for the top right now and really loves the bottom. We bought a trundle and that is where Vivian will go - when we are ready. Then when the girls are older we can slip the trundle back under the bottom bunk and Ella can move to the top and Vivian on the bottom. Then we can pull out the beautiful doll house shelf that was handmade especially for us. You can see some of it peeking out next to the window. I bought it before I was even pregnant!


I don't have a themed room for the girls. It is painted in a calming pink, with some shabby chic accessories, handmade items and curtains from Pottery Barn. These curtains reflect what all three us love: watercolor, elephants, trees, peacocks and ashrams.



The girls listen to the same calming lullabies since the day that they were born. This sets the mood and lets them know it is time to sleep. Vivian is deeply attached to a blanket that my mother knitted for her and has since knitted her four more. She calls her blanket "deedee" - she will not go to sleep without it. I have sachets of lavender hanging in their room - and every night I open the windows no matter how cold or hot it is outside and let fresh air enter their room. Sometimes if it has been a trying time to get them settled I rub lavender oil on their temples and massage their little feet.


I love this space that I have created for my girls and I know that they do too - for now.

Namaste!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful room!! Puts me to shame!!! I have spent little attention to the kids rooms thinking that as the boys get older I will do something with them... I really can economically do something now.... It is so pathetic- there is nothing on the walls at all. Riley's room has a little more character but could use some work! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place you have created for your girls. You must document how it looks now, so you can show them later.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I want to sleep there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that dollhouse bookshelf ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet room. So calm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special room. I think my favorite spot would be on the bed under that enchanting silk ceiling. And, I love their view. My house in Indiana had a view like that and I miss it so much. I'v not thought of hanging lavender sachets. I may have to copy you! And you've given me a post idea about loveys...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely room. I think you have similar taste to me when it comes to kids rooms- calm, simple, serene and sweet. I am loving the silk on the bunk bed, might have to do that for Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much beauty and love in these rooms. Love the silk over the bed!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely! I so look forward to Dieter and Rainer having their own room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so beautiful Nicole!
    So peaceful, loving and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love their room! Just perfect. I am going to copy you on the lavender sachets! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love their fairies and the dolls!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!