Waldorf In The Home

Monday, April 5, 2010

Corner of My Car - Running on Empty

Last Wednesday I ran out of gas. I was doing too much - going too fast and I didn't noticed that I was running on empty. There I was on the side of the road - swaying back and forth as each car whizzed by us. I had some time to think before Geir came and saved the day. I thought that I needed to slow down, focus and get back into the moment. My friend Mary reminded me of this too - everything is connected and happens for a reason. If we pay attention the reason becomes obvious.  It wasn't until Thursday afternoon that my newly realized intention of slowing down came to a crashing halt. I suffered a migraine for two full days. Geir once again saved the day. I got the rest that I needed. I love him very much. 


I feel renewed and calm. I have made some changes to our day. Ever since the time change - the girls have not been napping the way I needed them to. So now they nap in different rooms and it made all the difference in my world. Once I rock Vivy to sleep, Ella and I go to my bedroom and read "Little House on the Prairie." She doesn't sleep but we read for a long hour and it seems that is all she needs in terms of a nap. This was hard for me as nap-time meant no children for 2-3 hours during the afternoon. But I am starting to like it and I am having fun doing projects with Ella that if Vivian were awake it would be much harder to do. I think Ella is just loving our time together. Here she is planting carrots, onions and radishes. 

She also has a new responsibility in the afternoon -- folding laundry. 


 I am not good with change - I like rhythm and knowing what comes next. Nap-time was there everyday at the same time - we never skipped a nap. It was my security, my blanket, my lovey. Now it is different, Ella is maturing and I need to follow her growth. I look forward to our time together. I still have to figure out how to balance my needs and the little ones  needs at nap-time and to be careful that I am not too tired at the end of the day that I lose myself.

Spring is about renewal, change, growth and beauty - so glad I am here to be apart of it - especially now since I am feeling better.





8 comments:

  1. I love the look on Ella's face as she is planting. The sense of wonder is palpable. And her pearls...too cute!

    Giving up naps was one of the hardest things I had to do as a mom! I relished that quiet time in the afternoon to read or simply sit and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wisdom in this post. I truly believe everything happens for a reason, too.
    C stopped napping around Christmas time and it has bee na hard transition for me, too. I looked forward to having 1-2 hours of time alone with K each day and now we don't get that. I have to balance that somehow so K doesn't feel left out. Phew! Anyways, thank you again for sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need to be reminded to slow down from time to time. I know I do. I hate when it hits me hard, like an illness and I have to slow down, but then I know I needed that time.

    Lovely photos. Your girls are just precious. And thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marianna - I did catch Ella in the moment with that shot.
    Oh and the pearls while folding laundry!

    I am grieving quite a bit over losing nap-time.

    Thanks for understanding.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Nicole you reminded me that I still have Vivian's nap to be thankful for.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lisa - your blog is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it is traumatizing when they cut out the naps. when my son stopped I thought I was going to lose it!
    It's good to find a new rhythm though and then learn to love it. Things with children have to be rhythmic and solid, but also there has to be room for change. Mothering is such a balancing act!! Glad you're feeling better. Love the photos!! and you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nicole, You have written such a wonderful post! You are such an amazing mama:) Sending lots of positive energy your way:)Thank you for sharing this.
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!