Waldorf In The Home

Friday, February 26, 2010

Thrifting Therapy

Therapy that you pay out of pocket - no health insurance required - no forms to fill out. Most of the time it is guilt free and there are no intrusive questions about your past and no prescriptions needed. Thrifting naturally boosts the serotonin in your brain when that happy feeling triggers the satisfaction feeling of finding the perfect treasure. It can however trudge up childhood memories that you'd like to forget about but most of the time it recalls the good memories like this book did for me when I found it this week for a dollar. 

I was given a copy of this book in my early twenties from some new found friends. I took to it instantly and I have read it several times. It is Taoism brought to the western world that is easily understood and can be applied to our everyday life told through the stories of Winnie-the-Pooh (not Disney's version.) Who better than Pooh to teach us Taoism through his stories of living simple, kindly and authentically. In each new season of my life I ponder the question of "Who Am I?" the older I get the easier the answer comes - this book adds insight to getting that answer. It brings peace to me and is a gentle reminder to trust my inner nature. I gave my copy away some years back - I am glad to have a copy again.  

6 comments:

  1. Flashback! I remember my senior year in college I was nominated to give the commencement speech to the entire school. I based my speech on the Tao of Pooh and delivered the speech to a committee... I did not win but I thought the speech was really cool! I wish I saved a copy of the speech and the book! Great find!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! i completely agree with thrifting therapy and the tao of pooh? i need to check this out of the library. as part of our core class in college, we went through a series of religious and spiritual books, the tao being one. it is the only one i kept it hummed so deeply for me. thank you for the reminder to pull it off my shelf and for a youthful sibling to it!
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful treasure Nicole!

    From previous posts, I am so glad you are enjoying your Canon camera, I love mine:)
    Happy weekend to you...
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definite flashback. This book was one of my favorites when I was a philosophizing teenager!!! Thanks for reminding me of how much I love this book.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read the Tao of Pooh. I will check the library.

    I was successful in getting my three columns...I spent nearly two hours working on it, trying instructions on two seperate sites and still didn't have it. I googled one more time and found this site http://www.threecolumnblogger.com/2008/09/three-column-minima-layout-version.html and within 15 minutes I had the 3 coloumns! Now I just need to figure out how to make a fancy header and get fancy lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky - you didn't save a copy!? I would have loved to have read it.

    Thanks for all your comments.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!