Waldorf In The Home

Thursday, February 4, 2010

One Small Change


I envy the Moms who walk out the grocery store with three kids in tow and have all their groceries bagged with the bags they brought with them - and they saved $31.23 on a $96.12 bill. Why can't I remember my bags that I placed by the door or left in the car? I remember the coupons but I get so distracted shopping that I only use 1/3 of what I intended to use.  Yesterday,  I had the opportunity to have lunch all by myself at Wholefoods. Woohoo! It was amusing to watch all the different shoppers and notice who brought reusable bags with them. I was amazed at all the  people who brought their own bags.  - there were even ladies toting designer reusable bags! I had to laugh - I am all about pretty and saving Mother Earth but designer bags? Maybe when I am older I'll care if my hair is combed and what my bag looks like - so I'll hold back a little on making any judgments. For now I just want to get the grocery store with two happy girls, list and coupons in hand and my reusable bags.  This change is a long time coming and is my one small change for the month of February. 



Just a quick update on January's One Small Change. They say it takes 28 days to make anything a habit - we are not at 28 days yet - we started late but I can say - we are all using cloth napkins and it will soon be our habit - part of our family's routine. I explained to Ella  that we need to cut down on the amount of waste we throw out - paper napkins being one of them. Mother Earth is getting too full of trash and needs us to help. I explained that when our cloth napkins get dirty we will wash them and reuse them- but when the paper napkins get dirty we throw them out and they never get used again- giving Mother Earth a tummy ache. She looked at me like why were we ever using paper napkins in the first place...duh Mom. Ella is four and was undermining me. She immediately wanted to be a part of this one small change and help Mother Earth feel better. 

I feel a bit confessional being a part of this project started by Hip Mountain Mama. I enjoy reading the collections of confessions on her blog - a few hundred or so but I also enjoy fessing up and making my wrongs right. 

7 comments:

  1. Lol,i always have good intentions of taking my bags to the shop and, like you i leave them somewhere. As for the paper towels i'm guilty!but, then you have to wash the cloth ones and, that uses water. Having a water meter...and water bein so precious.....swings and round abouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, like you i always have good intentions of taking my bags to the shop, but, where are they when i get there...As for the paper towels, i'm guilty! Being on a water meter and, water being precious...the swings and round abouts of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we also forget our bags at home or in the car, but I am going to make an effort to remember to take them into the shop! It can so easily slip ones thoughts when the whole family goes shopping :) I look forward to your month of February with your One Small Change. I will post about mine later today:)
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was successful today - had the girls carry the bags - they happily obliged.

    My laundry did not increase - we can get away with 6 napkins a day or less and I just throw them in with my dish towels and such. Now Chris - if I could stop the girls from changing outfits throughout the day...I'd save some water.

    Ahh - if I could only go shopping alone - I would buy less, use more coupons, pay better attention to the sales...we are on to something Linda.

    Thank you both for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was successful today - had the girls carry the bags - they happily obliged.

    My laundry did not increase - we can get away with 6 napkins a day or less and I just throw them in with my dish towels and such. Now Chris - if I could stop the girls from changing outfits throughout the day...I'd save some water.

    Ahh - if I could only go shopping alone - I would buy less, use more coupons, pay better attention to the sales...we are on to something Linda.

    Thank you both for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this...I found 6 silver antique napkin rings before I even had our girls...I promised we would take them and get their names engraved on them...and then make some cloth napkins...my mother has been doing this for years.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    By the way...welcome to Blog World...I see this is a new place for you?
    Have a great weekend.
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello redbeet mama!
    i love this little window on your life ... and felt like you were taking the words right out of my mouth about how these other women can 'have it all' ... coupons AND reusable bags ...
    i still have issues with the coupons and if i forget my bags in my car? well, i just put those groceries right back in the cart and bag them at the car ... seriously ... i get so mad at myself, i've done that a few times now!
    all in all, it does get easier as the children grow, and like you say, can help out ...
    such are the stages of life ... gone for me are the days of pushing 2 - 1 year olds and a 5 year old in 1 cart while pulling the grocery cart behind ... now they are grown and if i remember my shopping list, it's a good day ...
    delighted to find you ~ take good care,
    prairiegirl xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!