Waldorf In The Home

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Life Happens

Together is a happy place to be. Too bad we were not together when the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate. Geir was at a meeting, Vivy was sound asleep, and I was reading a book to Ella. Words cannot describe how terrifying it is to save your children - alone. The piercing sound of the fire alarm causes such physical pain not just to my ears but to my entire body. I am worried about the possible damage it is causing the girls not just physically but also emotionally. In an instant panic, I am finding shoes, coats, lovies, purse, phone, keys all the while having two little freaked out girls attached to me. Of course if I smelled smoke the only two things I would have grabbed are  my girls. I can't fathom what the mothers in Haiti must have felt and still  feel - bless their aching hearts and the children they love and may peace soon re-enter into their lives.
My safety was just a phone call away to my Mom - who picked us up and brought me and my girls to the warmth of her home - snacks included.
This is our third evacuation since we moved here in late September. I feel terrorized by these evacuations - such a strong word but it is really an attack on our inner calmness and feelings of safety. It is traumatizing to have to save your children - it is traumatizing to my girls - even if it is just because a heater gave off smoke far off in the building somewhere. I am happy it was nothing more - but I am frazzled by this day and I am worried about the girls. The little ones needed a lot of reassurances and extra-loving tonight  -- and so do I.


Here is a picture of how Ella said she is feeling - noticed she choose the red crayon. I wish she needed to draw a picture of flowers instead - but I am positive she felt good to get this out.

2 comments:

  1. This must have been horrible, fire scares me most of all, because it never stops and is so very fast. Even thinking about a house fire makes me all shaky. how good that nothing happened & that your mum was there to pick you up. sending positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I feel those thoughts and I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments kindle my spirit.

Namaste!